Potassium is a mineral that is needed for your body to work properly. It is a type of electrolyte that:
- Builds protein
- Break down and use carbohydrates
- Builds muscle
- Maintain normal body growth
- Control the electrical activity of the heart
- Control the acid-base balance
Diets high in potassium are associated with improved blood pressure control, improved kidney function, reduction in blood clotting, and more efficient opening of blood vessels. Because of these important benefits, therapeutic diets aimed at improving blood pressure control often place primary focus on increasing potassium from foods.
So what are the best foods source for an adult to get the recommended daily 4,700 mg of potassium? Check out this chart for the Best Food Sources
Adapted from Bon Apetit Magazine
Serves 6- 8 people
- 1 cup dried large lima beans, soaked overnight, drained, or two 15- ounce cans Lima beans,drained
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices Turkey or Pork bacon, cut into 1/4”pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 6 ears)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves (for garnish)
- Kosher salt
If using dried beans, place in a large pot and add water to cover by 2”. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer,stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed, until beans are tender, 1½–2 hours; season with salt. Let cool; drain.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add bacon and cook, stirring often, until brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes.
Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5–8 minutes. Add celery and corn and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add cream and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add beans and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Top with thyme.
- Calories (kcal) 360
- Fat (g) 19
- Saturated Fat (g) 10
- Cholesterol (mg) 60
- Carbohydrates (g) 39
- Dietary Fiber (g) 9
- Total Sugars (g) 4
- Protein (g) 12
- Sodium (mg) 220